The Baltimore Riots


So, for the last 24 hours I’ve seriously debated blogging on this topic. Usually when I blog on a topic this intense, half of my readers disown me, while the other half completely come to my defense. But, after seeing dozens of Facebook posts filled with hate and ignorance, I had to speak my peace.

The greatest day this country has seen(politically) is the day that President Obama became elected. And, before you ask, I voted for Mitt Romney. But hear me out. When Obama took office, he took every excuse away. We now live in a country where, no matter what color your skin is, you can achieve anything. Does racism still exist in America? Yes. Racism is ignorance in action. No person should be judged based on the color of their skin. Actions and what’s in a person’s heart should make the person. That said, Obama was a black person in the United States of America and now holds its highest office.

As I said, racism is ignorance in action. So is looting and burning down buildings in retaliation to what you feel is racism. It solves absolutely nothing, while setting us back decades as a society. I’m not a white guy with black friends, I’m a guy with friends. The media has done its part, too, carefully placing the words black and white into a story, whenever possible. Because at the end of the day, major media outlets are owned by the 1% and they will continue to thrive in dividing the other 99%. True story.

Slavery is a sore subject(as it should be), but thankfully, none of us were here to endure it or be responsible for it. And slavery still exists. In this day and age, however, slavery is not about the color of a person’s skin – it’s about wealth vs. poverty. If you’re born poor, chances are you will die the same way. But how do you combat this type of slavery?

Burning down buildings, looting and assaulting police officers? No. You only break the cycle in becoming as educated as possible and lifting yourself out of the situation. That isn’t easily done and can sometimes seem impossible. Trust me, as a poor kid who grew up in a small trailer with absolutely no hope of going to college, I felt doomed from the beginning. But somewhere along the way, I realized that I have the power to change my life and make it better. To me, this isn’t about changing the system around us, this is about each of us changing who we are – for the better. Ignorance leads to more ignorance, and changes nothing. Police brutality is unacceptable, and rioting in Baltimore is unacceptable.

In closing, stop feeding into the 1% who owns you through financial means, and fight back with the best possible education you can get. Stop hating one another because the media wants you to, and start loving one another because it’s the right thing to do. If you truly want change for the better, change yourself. Then do whatever you must to get into the legal position to make change. Stop running around in circles – rioting has been done before and changed nothing. Ultimately, where you end up(no matter your color) depends on you. The photo is proof of that. Three black men, three deifferent sets of choices and three different end results. I’m sure with a bit of digging on Google, I could find a similar picture with three white men.

Empower yourself with knowledge and love everyone. That’s what I try to teach my own children. It’s about time other folks do the same.

Published by bookcommander

The Book Commander. #bookcommander

Let the Book Commander know

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s